miércoles, 30 de julio de 2008

Past Simple and Past Continuous.


They are two, differents, actions that happened in the past.


Past Simple:
It is a complete action that happened in the past, that is, something started and finished at the moment of speaking.
It is composed by:
-Subject + verb in pat simple + rest of the sentence.
-We use "did" to make negative sentences and questions.
Ex:Yesterday, I studied from 5:00 to 6:30 with a friend.
(the action began at 5:00 and finish at 6:30, it is a complete action).

Past Continuous:
It is an action that was interrupted by another action.
It is formed by:
-Subject + To be(in past simple) + verb+ing + rest of the sentence.
-To make the negative form and questions we use the verb "To be".
Ex:
Yesterday, I was studying with a friend when my mother called us to dinner.
(The action in past continuous was interrupted by "My mother's call").


Credits: my english teacher (after school), me and the grammar red book.

No hay comentarios: